Tuesday, May 10, 2011

What I do with Myself

Today I donned my toque and my gumboots (translation: knitted hat and wellies) and went out into Edinburgh ready for rain. One might notice I did not mention an umbrella, and you would be correct, but this is an intentional choice. Don't be tempted to bring your favourite, fashionable brellie to Edinburgh, or it will end up in a tangled mess, much like your hair after being to the Burgh. Umbrella carnage isn't worth the risk, and besides, Edinburgh rain does not fall down but rather sideways so you might as well either resign to getting soaked or save your pennies (pences?) for a good Gor-Tex and get on with your day.

In an effort to not carry a cumbersome purse, I stuffed a couple cameras in my pockets along with a tiny notebook to record my adventures and a green pen that is made out of corn and comes with a dandy little calendar that rolls out at my convenience. I separated my keys from the keyring because I take 'packing light' seriously and started off down the street.
I didn't make it far, but that was all part of my plan. I went into a Second hand book store (aka charity book shop) that had a window display featuring Scottish authors. At one point I looked outside and noticed it had rained, but when? And that is when I realized I had spent the good part of an hour rummaging at the front of the store, oblivious to, well, apparently weather and probably everything else as well.
One side of the Scottish Section of this Bookshop
I found so many treasures including a box of old postcards from the war, a classics section, and a bin of leaflets donated by Historic Scotland-filled with black and white ariel photos of my Scottish surroundings.
I spent an enjoyable hour of my life and nine pounds in the book shop, and then when I went home I found out all the money is donated to children's charity!
My book booty
This seems a good day to indulge you in a literary link. This Bookshop Guide is like a treasure map to me, and will provide you with...maps of many book -pushers, but also bookshop details as well as reviews from fine citizens such as myself. It can be your guide to great afternoons spent in bookshops here in Edinburgh or all over Scotland!
Because you should get lost in a book, not in a new city!

It rained three more times today, sandwiched between spurts of warmish sun, contrasted with the constant presence of that oh-so-reliable Edinburgh wind. I took pictures all morning and popped into interesting shops to wait out the rain when need be, all the while my once faithful umbrella got to rest in my handbag at home.
edinburgh x erin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts