Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Jammin'


Farmers Market Round Two: There is my charity shop carry bag in action, filled to the brim with organic rhubarb!
Those crunchy, oh-so-sour stalks became this...
Rhubarb Ginger Jam mmm (Lumberjack jam helper not included, sorry)
So simple, I can't believe I have been buying jam all these years! Grow, pick or buy 2 pounds of rhubarb. It tends to grow like a weed, so if you ask nice, people tend to just give this stuff away! Cut it into chunks, add 2 lbs of sugar, the zest and juice of an organic lemon and place in a bowl. Leave it over night.
Bruise (just like it sounds) an ounce of fresh ginger and wrap it in a muslin bag. If you don't have a cheese cloth type material, a blue jay cloth wrung out with boiling water works fine. Look closely for the blue tint in my pot hee hee! So, add the bag to the pot with the now juicy fruit and bring to a boil. After 30-45 minutes the mixture should be pulpy. If it sticks to a plate that you swing upside down, its ready!
Add an ounce or two of chopped stem ginger, or crystallized ginger at the end and stir. Remove the sticky bag of ginger and pour the liquid into jars how out of the dishwasher. Cover with lids or wax circles (available at UK kitchen stores), and store in a cool, dry cupboard. And best of all, Enjoy!
To dress up my hodge-podge of recycled jars, I placed a bowl on pretty fabric I brought over from a quilting shop in Alaska, traced around it and cut out the circles. I then placed the fabric over the mismatched lids and secured them with an everyday elastic. Done!

Serve it on scones, alongside some cheeses or gift it over the summer.
A super cute way to serve this Super food. Sweet!
I hope you like jammin' too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts