Wednesday, June 22, 2011

"I want to go to there"

While on a day where our only order of business was to take pictures, I saw this. Edinburgh has many events, shows, installations etcetera at any given moment. I tend to miss all of them. This is my complaint about our fair city: I never find out about anything until it is over!

I'm sure this is a "It's not you, it's me" type argument where I should subscribe to a lifestyle in which I both get out more, AND stay in more, searching the internet to find all these art openings, concerts, haggis eating contests, film festivals and seminars that escape me.

For whatever reason, this poster was the icing on my annoyed cake. This exhibit has 'erin' written all over it. I even took it upon myself, as a Women's studies major back in Canada, to purchase a book to this affect when I arrived. I thought to have a well rounded view of the history surrounding women's right to vote, I should know how that came to be in the country in which I would soon be voting in, in addition to the one I was born that was covered in my course. I have never felt quite so detached from a city before now, now have I felt like I had to make quite so much effort to find out what on earth is going on in it!
So, here I am on the Royal Mile in Edinburgh, discovering one more event I nearly missed.

Today I ask you,
Is there a go-to guide that helps you pick and choose venues before they have passed like the summer here?
What is your favourite website or zine that tells you what's up in the Burgh?
I want to plan my calendar now, and not a year from now when these things come around again in 2012! Or worse miss them entirely only to here how they were a 'not to be missed' event!
(insert sigh here)
Edinburgh manages to elude even me sometimes, even though as a blogger in the Burgh I make an active effort to engage with it.
"Edinburgh, sometimes I don't love you", a quote by Erin Maguire-Lonsdale

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts